Penile psoriasis is a form of genital psoriasis in males. It can affect the penile shaft, head, the corona and the skin folds around the scrotum. In itself, psoriasis is a common inflammatory skin condition that can affect any part of the body. Here is an insight on the causes, symptoms and treatment option for this condition.
What causes penile psoriasis?
- 1 What causes penile psoriasis?
- 2 Psoriasis on penile shaft
- 3 Symptom of penile psoriasis
- 4 Pictures, images of penile psoriasis
- 5 Does penile psoriasis go away?
- 6 Treatment for penile psoriasis
- 7 Home remedies for treating psoriasis on penis
- 7.1 1. Coconut oil
- 7.2 2. Neem and coconut oil
- 7.3 3. Aloe vera and coconut oil
- 7.4 4. Glycerin and coconut oil
- 7.5 5. Lavender oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil
- 7.6 6. Camphor with coconut oil
- 7.7 7. Coconut oil and turmeric
- 7.8 8. Apple cider vinegar with coconut oil
- 7.9 9. Coconut oil bath
- 7.10 10. Beeswax, coconut oil ointment and honey
- 7.11 11. Beeswax with coconut oil cream
Penile psoriasis can occur in both circumcised and uncircumcised males. With this condition, red lesions can be seen on the glands and shaft of the penis. It can also appear anywhere in the groin area. The most common type of psoriasis of the penis is inverse psoriasis. It doesn’t have the scaling that is typically seen in plaque psoriasis but instead, it usually shows up as smooth lesions or patches that are dry, shiny and red or pink in color. This condition can flare-up without any apparent triggers or causes.
Just like other cases of psoriasis, penile psoriasis can be triggered by a number of things; contraceptives like spermicidal creams, tight fitting clothes or sexual intercourse are common causes of this condition. Other known causes of this condition include:
- Dryness of penis skin
- Excessive masturbation
- Obesity, sweat, and friction can make psoriasis outbreaks worse
- Immune disorder
- Sexual intercourse
- Irritation on the skin of penis
Psoriasis on penile shaft
Psoriasis on penile shaft may appear as small, red patches, which may be scaly or smooth and shiny. This condition can affect both circumcised and uncircumcised males but there is not an identifiable cause of this psoriasis in that area. It is, however, important to note that it cannot be transmitted through sexual contact.
Psoriasis on this region is very difficult to control but can be easy to relieve symptoms such as itch and discomfort. Treatments of this condition are quite easy since any treatment can be absorbed.
Symptom of penile psoriasis
In most people, the symptoms shown by penile psoriasis are close to those exhibited by some sexually transmitted infections. Though this is true for most people, genital psoriasis is not an STD. this s condition is not contagious to mean it cannot be spread from one person to the other.
Psoriasis on the penile shaft can be shown by the following symptoms:
- Red or white scaly patches on penile shaft
- Inflamed patches
- Dry skin that may crack and bleed
- Soreness around your genitals
- Mild to severe itching
- A feeling of burning sensation
Pictures, images of penile psoriasis
The appearance of rash or patches caused by penile psoriasis will vary depending on the type of psoriasis one is suffering from. Here is are some images of how penile or penis psoriasis will look like.
Does penile psoriasis go away?
According to Dr. Goldman of everyday health, penile psoriasis may go away when you see a dermatologist and receive proper medical treatment. It might clear after a month or two while undergoing treatment, and then not come back for around 5 to 10 years.
Unfortunately, psoriasis doesn’t go away and that’s why many people are forced to work through it. It is, however, neither contagious nor dangerous. It also doesn’t lead to an infection in yourself or your partner. You can, however, reduce the symptoms if you avoid any sexual activity until the symptoms clear to avoid making it severe.
Treatment for penile psoriasis
Penile psoriasis occurs on the most sensitive areas of your penis. These areas are also highly responsive to treatment but it has to be done gently in order to get symptoms to clear up completely. Early treatment is vital for this condition since it can reduce the severity of the symptoms. The doctor or a dermatologist may prescribe oils and moisturizers to help in controlling and relieving symptoms of this condition.
The following are common treatments administered for this condition;
1. Hydrocortisone cream
Use of 1% hydrocortisone cream that is available over the counter is an effective treatment for penile psoriasis. This cream is mild but also strong enough to reduce the appearance of psoriasis on the penile shaft.
2. Topical retinoid
Topical retinoid can be combined with corticosteroids to decrease skin irritation and to increase effectiveness. Tazorac is an example of a topical retinoid that is available as a gel or cream. It also reduces the size of the plaques and the redness of the skin.
Phototherapy is the use of ultraviolet light therapy on psoriasis. This form of treatment is preferred for people suffering from moderate to severe symptoms of penile psoriasis. Phototherapy involves using a light box that produces artificial UVB rays for specified amount.
Some other sources of UV light are PUVA and lasers. These rays penetrate the skin and effectively slow the growth of skin cells in people affected by this condition. When this kind of treatment is used, the condition may get worst at first and then get better later on.
4. Topical corticosteroids
Corticosteroid creams are common treatments for penile psoriasis as it is a mild steroid cream suitable for tender and thin skin in genital areas. These topical creams target the inflammation caused by psoriasis and are effective on many people. You should be careful not to use too much of this cream because it can skin the penis skin, hence causing damage.
5. Coal-tar derivatives
Mild topical coal tar preparations can be used alone or in case the treatment with a weak topical steroid is insufficient. Coal tar is applied topically and is available as shampoo, bath oil, ointment, cream, gel, paste, or any other types of preparations. The tar reduces itching and slows the production of excess skin cells and is more effective when used along with a topical corticosteroid.
6. Vitamin D
Vitamin D such as calcipotriol cream can be either used alone or be combined with topical steroids. This treatment slows the production of excess skin cells and therefore it is good for moderate psoriasis. Calcipotriene can be combined with dipropionate in order to flatten lesions and reduce inflammation caused by this condition.
Calcitriol ointment should be applied twice a day on the affected area. This ointment binds with vitamin D receptors on skin cells and reduces the excessive production of skin cells, which improves psoriasis symptoms.
7. Systemic drugs
Systemic drugs are a form of treatment that changes the way your immune system works. These medications can be used when other treatments such as topical medications and phototherapy are not effective. One of the types of these drugs includes biologics. These drugs use proteins to block the response of your immune system so that it won’t attack your system much. These are administered by the doctor as an injection or intravenous infusion of biotic drugs on a regular schedule.
Some other systemic drugs used for treating penile psoriasis include methotrexate or Sandimmune, which modulates the immune system to decrease the action of certain skin cells. Methotrexate is a form of treatment used by a dermatologist and a specialist as a first line systemic treatment used when the penis psoriasis gets worse.
This form of treatment does not completely cure but it plays a role in controlling the symptoms. If you want to get rid of this condition with no side effects or damage to the skin, you can consider the use of monk herbal treatment.
Home remedies for treating psoriasis on penis
Treating penile psoriasis can be a more difficult task than treating psoriasis on any other part of the body because of the thickness of the skin in the genital area and the high sensitivity. That is why the remedies used should be easily absorbed into the skin and they should also not cause any irritation in the affected area. That is why I have provided you with the best remedies along with the procedure for applying each of them.
1. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is a very safe way for treating penile psoriasis. Consumption of this oil on daily basis helps to strengthen the immune system, improves the healing capability and balances the ratio of saturated and unsaturated fat in the body.
This oil can be applied topically in order to moisturize the cells, treat infections, smoothen the infected skin and loosen the flakes associated with this condition.
- In order to moisturize the skin, you should apply a small amount of coconut oil at least 3 times a day on the affected area. Then leave it to dry completely.
- If you decide to consume coconut oil, you should ensure that you include 2 to 4 tablespoons of coconut oil in your daily diet. You can also add it directly to juices, or sauté veggies.
2. Neem and coconut oil
Neem contains antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties. It can be used along with coconut oil to prepare an effective treatment for penile psoriasis;
- Crush burnt Neem bark seeds into ashes
- Mix the ashes with some coconut oil to prepare a paste
- Apply the cream on the affected area
- Leave it on for several minutes and then rinse it off with water
- Repeat this at least 2 times every day for several days
3. Aloe vera and coconut oil
Aloe vera contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in curbing inflammation on the penile shaft. It also moisturizes the skin and reduces flaking associated with genital psoriasis. This oil plays a major role in boosting the immune system, stimulating new cell growth and nourishing the skin cells.
- Extract aloe Vera gel and mix it with 1 teaspoon of lukewarm coconut oil and stir for it to mix well
- Gently massage the affected area in circular motions for about 20 minutes
- Leave it on for 20 more minutes and then rinse it off with water
- Repeat this procedure daily for several days- you will notice significant change
- You can also add a few drops of lavender or peppermint oil for better results
4. Glycerin and coconut oil
Research by the medical college of Georgia has proven that glycerin helps in skin cell maturation. A mixture of glycerin with coconut oil leads to an effective solution for psoriasis.
- Mix a tablespoon of coconut oil and glycerin
- Mix it well and apply on the affected areas of your penis
- Leave it on to dry completely
- Repeat this procedure 2 times every day in order to clear the symptoms
5. Lavender oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil
One of the common triggers of psoriasis is stress and that is when the sedative properties of lavender oil are much needed. This oil helps reduce stress and relaxes the mind hence reducing flare-ups caused by psoriasis. On the other hand, avocado oil and vitamin B12 are common long-term therapy for psoriasis.
How to apply these oils;
- Mix equal amounts of coconut oil, lavender oil, and avocado oil
- Use a cotton ball to gently apply the solution on the affected areas
- Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off with water
- Repeat this procedure on daily basis until the symptoms improve
6. Camphor with coconut oil
Camphor is rich in antiseptic and antifungal properties that make it an effective remedy for treating penile psoriasis. It is used along with coconut oil to boost capabilities of it getting absorbed into the skin.
- Mix a cup of coconut oil and a pinch of camphor
- Stir the mixture and then apply it gently on the affected areas
- Gently massage the affected area for at least 30 minutes
- Take a lukewarm shower and then pat dry
- Repeat this procedure once in every 2 days for a week or so
7. Coconut oil and turmeric
Turmeric contains antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that are much needed for treating skin conditions such as psoriasis. It also contains a compound called curcumin, which has immunomodulatory properties that restrict immune responses that are responsible for psoriasis flare-up.
- Mix ½ teaspoon turmeric with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Spread the mixture on the affected area and then leave it for about 20 minutes
- Rinse it off with water and then pat dry
- Repeat this procedure on daily basis until the flare-ups are completely eradicated
8. Apple cider vinegar with coconut oil
Apple cider vinegar is a strong disinfectant and also contains anti-itching and anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing redness, swelling and clearing flakes that accompany psoriasis.
How to use it with coconut oil;
- Mix 2 parts of coconut oil with 1 part of apple cider vinegar
- Stir the solution and then apply it on the affected areas
- Leave it on for around 30 minutes and then rinse it off with water.
- Repeat this procedure 2 times every day for several days
9. Coconut oil bath
This procedure is recommended by National Psoriasis Foundation since it moisturizes, smoothens and loosens the flakes caused by psoriasis. It is also a very simple procedure since it involves adding coconut oil to bath water. This is how to do it;
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of coconut oil into your warm bath water
- Soak in it for 10 to 15 minutes and then bath normally
- Pat dry and then gently apply coconut oil on the affected areas
- Repeat the process on daily basis in order to achieve the desired results
10. Beeswax, coconut oil ointment and honey
Beeswax contains anti-inflammatory properties that cool down inflammation, itchiness, and redness associated with psoriasis. Honey helps in trapping the moisture and softening of the genital skin.
Here is how to use these remedies;
- Combine 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon beeswax and 1 tablespoon of honey in a bowl
- Stir the solution and the gently apply the mixture on the affected area
- Leave it on for few minutes and then rinse it off with water
- Repeat this procedure more frequently until the symptoms clear
11. Beeswax with coconut oil cream
You can opt for this procedure if you don’t have enough time to whip up a fresh mixture every time you want to treat your penile psoriasis. It is, therefore, easier to make the cream in batches and then store for the required treatment.
- Use a double boiler to melt down 1 ounce each of beeswax pellets and coconut oil
- After the melting of ingredients is done, remove the flame
- Pour the mixture into a container and allow it to solidify
- Scoop out enough mixture and spread it on the affected areas
- Repeat this procedure frequently in a day for several days
- Inverse psoriasis; treatment options- http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/psoriasis/groin#1
- How to handle psoriasis on sensitive areas: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/psoriasis/how-handle-psoriasis-sensitive-areas#1
- What should you know about genital psoriasis: http://www.healthline.com/health/genital-psoriasis#overview1
- Topical medications for psoriasis: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/psoriasis/page7_em.htm
- natural treatments for inverse psoriasis: http://www.healthline.com/health/psoriasis/inverse-psoriasis-natural-treatment#overview1