Pimple scabs or acne scabs are red and sore formations that form after popping a pimple. How do you heal scabs on pimples? Crusty scabs form, usually on wounds or cuts to help healing. After scratching and popping zits, dry crusty scabs form on the pimple’s head. They can keep scabbing over and over and come off too early, or even not heal or form scars. Here’s how to get rid of pimple scabs fast, overnight and naturally.
Pimple scabs that won’t heal or won’t go away can form on the face, mouth, cheek, chin, lips and even corners of the mouth. These can get itchy if not treated fast, and make you feel like picking them. Scabs can appear as red, brown and even sometimes black.
Other than pimples, acne zits, boils and wounds, cold sores can also cause scabbing over. Below, I have discussed how to cover, heal fast and get rid of these unsightly scabs overnight or fast enough.
Popped pimple scab
Popping pimples can be difficult to stop even when you know you should not. But if you know how to do it the right way, you shouldn’t remain with a scar or a dry crusty scab.
Scabs form on zits that have been squeezed because you are likely to have torn the skin or made it bleed. Here are a few things you should know about popping boils and pimple heads.
- Before scabbing over, popped zits are likely to bleed, swell and even become itchy.
- According to Zakiya Rice, MD, a dermatologist being interviewed on WebMD, the bacteria, and dirt in a pimple, when squeezed, will land in other skin pores. That gunk is likely to cause more pimples.
- To keep your skin healthy, avoid popping pimples.
Usually, scabbing over popped pimples and acne spots lead to the formation of scars on your face, nose, cheeks and even forehead. Soon enough, you will start looking for ways to get rid of dark spots on your face because the clot usually turns dark and form those blemishes.
How to get rid of pimple scabs fast
When infected, scabs can form pus, bleed, or even become painful. In order to get rid of scabs fast, you will need to not only know how to clean the wound but also how to deal with infections. The following are important practices you should consider.
1. Avoid picking them
Some people ask the healing time of scabs and sores. If you want those pimple and acne scabs to heal fast, avoid picking them. It is tempting, but avoid scratching, rubbing, popping and squeezing them. In order to heal scabs quickly, allow the clot to stay put in order for the pimple to go away.
Scabbed wounds and zits can be itchy. That feeling is what makes you want to pick it off. Try to use anti-itch creams if you want to stop picking the acne scabs on your face, nose and chin.
- The scabs on the pimple acts as a temporary skin. It prevents the wound or pimple from getting infected by external bacteria.
- Picking the scabs will take will get rid of the protective coating and slow down the healing process.
Even though you can try to cure pimple scabs fast, it is important to know that your body takes time to heal. A balanced diet, vitamin C, D and vitamin E can go a long way in making your zit scabs heal fast.
2. Apply tea tree oil
Another good home remedy for treating scabs from acne and pimples is tea tree oil. It is used because of its antiseptic properties. It will prevent bacterial infections on cuts, wounds and scabs on the skin. Here’s how to get rid of a pimple scab using tea tree oil.
- Take a clean piece of cotton wool.
- Drip a little tea tree oil to dampen the cotton ball with it.
- Apply the oil gently on the scabs. Avoid applying pressure because it can break the crust and cause bleeding.
- Do this once or twice a day to heal acne scabs overnight and naturally.
3. Warm compresses for overnight healing
Another quick home remedy to make facial scabs from zits to disappear is warm compress. Warm compresses are said to remove scabs overnight or in just a few hours. Why is that? The moisture from the compresses will soften the skin and loosen the scab. Here’s how to heal a pimple scab fast by doing warm compresses.
- Take a clean washcloth.
- Dip it in warm water. The water should not be hot, otherwise, you will burn your skin.
- Apply the warm water compress on your pimple scabs to relieve the itch and loosen the scabs and crust.
- Do this for about 5 minutes, twice a day in order to get rid of pimple and acne scabs overnight or within hours.
Warm compresses are known to moisturize wounds, cuts and scabs from pimples and zits. They also increase blood supply on the skin surface around the pimples. This will make the healing process faster. Warm compresses are also part of the home remedies to stop popped pimple scab from swelling.
4. Use honey
Honey is an ancient antiseptic. It not only prevents infections but will help you heal faster. According to Max D. Gray of OneHowto, honey is an antibiotic and will also improve the appearance of your skin after pimples and injuries such as cuts, burns and boils.
- Clean your face thoroughly, especially the areas around the pimples and acne zits.
- Dry the areas cleaned in order to remove any moisture and water.
- Apply honey, preferably, Manuka honey.
- Dress with a hydropolymer dressing. You can buy this at the drugstore.
This kind of dressing will absorb fluids discharged by the zit. By keeping the scabs dry and clean, you will help it heal faster. Apply this scab treatment once a day in order to get rid of scabs that won’t heal on their own.
5. Aloe vera
Aloe vera is used for healing sunburns, cuts and even bruises. You can use it to get rid of pimple scabs fast. According to Natural Products Network, aloe vera gel helps soothe the discomfort and itch on the scabs from pimples. It will also prevent unsightly scars from forming after the acne spots.
- Get aloe vera gel by squeezing the leaves.
- Apply a thick gel of aloe vera to the scabs on pimples.
- Let is sit on your skin for a couple of hours. It is preferable that you leave it on your face overnight to heal acne scabs fast.
Other than treating scabs caused by pimples and acne zits, aloe vera is known for its skin lightening properties as well and will help you lighten the dark spots on your face, usually from the breakouts.
Scabbing over on a pimple can leave you with scars, dark spots and all sorts of blemishes on your face. Made Man recommends that when you pick or pop pimples and rapture them, you should use Vaseline to seal them and help them heal faster.
- Before using Vaseline petroleum jelly on your acne zits, ensure that the spots are not oozing any liquid such as blood or even pus. Green pus in pimples will mean they are infected.
- Dry the crusty scabbed spots on your face after cleaning and patting dry.
- Apply a layer of Vaseline on the scab. This will keep it moist and protected from entry of infectious bacteria.
- Petroleum jelly also loosens pimple scabs to make them go away faster.
How long do scabs from pimples take to heal? With this treatment, you will get rid of the dry crusty scabs almost overnight, but the little wounds under the pimples might remain.
7. Remove scabs with baking soda
Baking soda is one of the most widely used home remedies for very many skin health problems. Acne scabs can be treated using baking soda paste. The reason for this is that baking soda is an ingredient that works as a fungicide as well as antiseptic.
When used on scabs, baking soda will tighten the scabs (making them loosen from the pimple wound). This draws it away from the wound, allowing it to fall off. Here’s how to use it.
- Take a small amount of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and add it into a bowl or glass.
- Add a little amount of water and mix to make a consistent paste.
- Apply the paste on the pimple scabs to cover it completely.
- Repeat this daily until the scab falls off the pimple or acne zit by itself.
Other than loosening scabs on acne and breakouts to help them come off easily, this remedy will ward off infections and the itchy feeling that will make you want to pick pimples on your face, chin, forehead and nose.
8. Polysporin and Neosporin treatments
For infected pimples and acne, Neosporin and Polysporin antibiotics cab help you treat it. Polysporin can also help as an over-the-counter treat, but try to keep the pimples dry because that is what will accelerate the healing process.
How to cover a pimple scab and crusts
Scabs from pimples can make your face look unsightly. Other than knowing how to get rid of pimple scabs in a quick way, other important tips to learn include concealing and covering them. So, how do you cover the zits and acne blemish dry, flaky crusts? You will need the following:
- Cotton wool balls
- Petroleum jelly like Vaseline
- Foundation and its applicator brush
- Mild toner
- Cream concealer
- Makeup sponges
- A gentle moisturizing cream
- Wash cloth
Other thins include those you will find in your general makeup box or kit. So here’s what to do to get rid of a pimple scab by hiding it, covering or concealing it.
- Cleanse your face using your regular cleanser and warm water. Pat dry with clean towels.
- Use cotton balls to dab a gentle toner on the scabbed areas. This will help your skin soften.
- Apply a smooth layer of moisturizer on your face and allow time to absorb.
- Put a little Vaseline over the scabbed areas.
- Use a foundation brush to apply foundation on your face, stroking it in a downward motion. On the scabbing areas, dab until you cover them.
- Apply your cream concealer. Be careful not to break or loosen the scabs.
- Dust off your face using a translucent powder.
While concealer makeup can help you hide or cover scabs instantly, they are not a permanent solution. In fact, they make the wounds heal slower than you may thing. If possible, avoid makeup and allow your skin to cure the wounds naturally.
Infected pimple scab on face, lip, corner of mouth, cheek, chin
Acne scabs that won’t heal on your face can be infected. They are likely to appear as green. Sometimes, they will ooze blood all the time, a clear fluid or even turn green. When pus is oozing, keep the wound dry and seek medication.
Infected pimple scabs can be cured at home but they will need good hygiene and avoid touching, picking scratching the pimple because it will not help it go away.
I have read about using toothpaste for scabs and pimples, but I wouldn’t exactly recommend it. Mint toothpaste soothes the skin, but can also have a drying effect on it. Worse still, it will cause inflammation on your acne scabs and make them feel like they are burning.