Butt chafing is not only annoying but can also cause lots of discomforts. Skin chafing can occur in both males and females. It is however common for exercise enthusiasts, those who are overweight or obese. Friction from skin or clothes is the main cause of chafing. Apart from the butt, chafing can occur anywhere on the body.
Chafing is common between thighs, groin, and underarms. Here are some of the common causes of chafing, treatment, how to stop, prevent and get rid of chafing skin at home.
What causes Butt crack chafing
- 1 What causes Butt crack chafing
- 2 Chafing between buttock bleeding
- 3 Pictures of chafing buttocks
- 4 Chafed butt crack treatment
- 5 How to stop butt chafing
- 6 How to prevent butt chafing
- 7 How to get rid of butt chafing fast, naturally and quickly at home
There is an array of causes that might lead to butt chafing. Constant friction between skins and clothes is, however, the most common cause of chafing in both males and females. Chafing is common and occurs when your skin rubs with another part of the skin, against cloth or gear.
Common causes of butt crack chafing will include the following:
- Wearing ill-fitting clothes. This includes either wearing too loose or too tight clothes. These kinds of clothes either limits the free circulation of air between the butt cracks or causes constant friction with your skin which can then lead to chafing.
- Strenuous activities like long distance running and other exercises like cycling can also lead to friction in butt crack which then leads to chafing. You can prevent chafing by applying a lubricant before performing such activities.
- Being dehydrated or sweating a lot can also cause chafing not only between butt crack but also underarms, between thighs and around the groin. When sweat evaporates on the skin, salty crystals than remain on the skin can increase irritation and friction between skins leading to chafing.
- Wearing synthetic clothes or those that do not wick moisture away especially during strenuous activities can also lead to chafing.
- Hot environment condition can also contribute to chafing skin.
- Being obese or overweight increases skin irritation and friction which then lead to chafing
- Having a natural sensitive skin also increase the chance of your skin chafing.
Chafing between buttock bleeding
Continuous chafing and friction between buttocks can lead to soreness and bleeding. This will make the condition worse and annoying. Chafing and bleeding buttock can make it hard for some people to walk, sit properly. It can also cause pain during bowel movement.
With crackling and bleeding butt skin caused by chafing, blood stain can be seen in stool. Bleeding butt crack also increases the chances of you picking up a viral or bacterial infection. Urgent and proper medical attention may be required to try and stop this from happening.
When chafing lead to soreness and formation of painful bumps, over the counter pain killers and antibacterial ointment can be used to prevent infection.
Pictures of chafing buttocks
Chafed butt crack treatment
According to WebMD, butt chafing should not be ignored. Depending on how mild or severe the chafing is, it can be treated at home or with the help of a medical practitioner. To treat a chafed butt crack, you need to do the following:
- Gently clean the chafed skin with water then dry it toughly by patting with a dry clean towel.
- Now gently apply a mild lubricant like petroleum jelly
- For severe chafing, such in cases where the chafing causes pain, swelling, bleeding and crusting, have your dermatologist or primary care physician recommend a medicated ointment.
- You need to repeat this twice a day, giving your skin some time to heal before you can become active again.
- In cases where the skin fails to improve, it could be a sign of an underlying bacterial or fungal infection. In such cases, topical and oral antifungals or antibiotics may be used.
How to stop butt chafing
Chafing can be very uncomfortable especially when occurring between buttocks, on inner thighs or under armpits. Chafing as said is common and can occur in anyone. The best way to stop chafing skin is to prevent the underlying cause of chafing.
So how do you stop butt chafing? Though chafing can occur in anybody, it is more prone to people who run or walk for long, those that are obese or overweight and those wearing dress or skirts in very hot, humid weather.
To stop butt chaffing you can do the following:
- Also, ensure that you butt skin is clean and dry
- Apply topic creams and gel to always keep your skin lubricated
- Reduce or avoid friction or irritation by wearing properly fitting clothes. Wearing a bandelette will help prevent inner thighs chafing
- Other measures to stop chaffing can include cutting down on your weight
How to prevent butt chafing
As said, butt chafing is common in both males and females. There are however some simple things you can do to prevent butt chafing. For those prone to chafing between buttocks, on inner thighs and other parts of the body, you can try the following to prevent this from happening:
1. Cut down on your weight
Being obese or over weight is a common cause of chafing not only between buttocks but also between inner thighs, and in armpits.
Cutting down on your weight will therefore not only help prevent chafing but also contribute to the general body health. Prevent obesity and overweight involve maintain a balanced diet and regular exercises.
Being overweight or obese increases your risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, and having high cholesterol.
2. Maintain proper personal hygiene
Poor hygiene leads to the accumulation of dirt and bacteria in the butt crack. This can occur when you fail to properly clean your butt after a bowel movement or when you fail to clean this area properly.
The accumulation of dirt may lead to bacterial or yeast infection that can then lead to itching, irritation, and chafing between butts. Dilly shower is recommended to properly get rid of clean this area. Use plain water. Some scented soap might lead to itching and irritation.
After cleaning, make sure to keep the area dry. Dab a dry clean towel. You can then sprinkle some baby powder or use an antiperspirant spry to help prevent excessive sweating between buttocks.
3. Avoid wearing clothes that irritate your skin
Free movement of natural air help keep the skin between butts dry. For this reason, it is recommended you wear clothes that are not too tight or lose.
Wearing tight clothes may irritating the skin between the bum leading to chafing, itching and burning sensation between buttocks. These kinds of clothes could also lead to soreness. For women especially, you should avoid wearing such clothes as G-strings especially in summer when you are likely to sweat more.
4. Apply a lubricant to reduce friction
The other thing you can do is to apply a lubricant which will help reduce friction between buttocks. This should be done most specifically for children and those who wear diaper.
Applying this kind of ointment and lubricant helps the skin glide over thus reducing friction between skins which in turn reduces chafing. For those who work out, make sure to apply an anti-chafe lubricant on areas such as in armpits, between buttocks and on inner thighs before you work out.
5. Stay hydrated
Staying hydrated is the other thing you can do to prevent chafing. We recommend drinking plenty of fluids more specifically water before, during and after long periods of exercise.
When your body remains hydrated, it continues to produce sweat, naturally, when sweating stops, the drying salt crystals from your sweat can cause your skin to chafe even more.
How to get rid of butt chafing fast, naturally and quickly at home
Mild cases of chafing skin can easily be managed at home. There are some natural remedies that you might you to relive some of the symptoms accompanying the chafing such as itching, irritation, soreness and burning sensation.
You will need to avoid continuous friction that might continue to cause chafing even after treatment. When the chafing is accompanied a painful rash and a bacterial infection, an over-the-counter topical ointment can also be used.
Here are some natural remedies you can use to get rid of butt chafing fast, naturally at home:
1. Essential oils
One of the most effective natural remedies you can use to get rid of skin chafing in buttocks, inner thighs, groin and other parts of the skin is applying an essential oil on the affected skin. Most of these remedies contain great anti-itching properties that can help relieve the symptoms.
This is what you will need to do:
- Extract the juice from fresh basil leaves
- Into the oil, add some amount of coconut oil and gently stir to mix the two
- Gently clean the affected area and dry it by patting with a clean dry towel
- Now apply the resulting mixture before going to bed
- Repeat this twice a day, the remedy will help speed up the healing process as well as relieve itching and inflammation.
2. Oatmeal paste
Apply oatmeal paste can also help offer relief for chafing butt. At home, all you need to do is:
- Mix moderate amounts of oatmeal and olive oil to achieve a fine paste
- Gently clean the affected area then gently apply the paste
- Leave the paste on for half an hour then rinse the area with lukewarm water
- You will need to repeat this for optimal results
3. Raw honey
Raw honey is said to be a great antimicrobial agent. It is also said to contain excellent healing and antibacterial properties. Applying a fine paste or raw honey can, therefore, help relieve itching, fight infection and get rid of swelling and inflammation caused by chafing skin.
4. Aloe Vera gel
To get rid of chafing butt overnight, you can reap the many medicinal properties of fresh aloe Vera gel. The gel can be a great remedy especially when the chafing is accompanied by soreness and bleeding. The gel is said to contain strong antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that will help fight infection.
- Extract aloe Vera gel from a fresh plant
- You can apply the gel alone or add some raw honey to make it an even stronger remedy
- Now gently apply the gel over the affected area and give it some time to heal
- You do not have to rinse the gel out
- Repeat this to relieve itching and burning sensation around anus caused by chafing skin
5. Talcum powder
When treating butt chafing at home, you need to make sure that you keep your skin dry. Ensure free circulation of air. Also, make sure you avoid skin irritation by wearing properly fitting clothes.
Given that the common cause of butt and inner thigh chafing is irritation and wetness of skin, applying talcum powder will help keep the skin dry. Wear cotton clothes instead of those made of nylon synthetic. Also, make sure to thoroughly dry your body after bath or after swimming.
- How to deal with inner thigh chafing: http://www.vaseline.us/skin-health-care/how-to-deal-with-inner-thigh-chafing.html
- Ways to prevent skin chafing: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/chafing-causes-treatments
- Diaper rash and chafing skin: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diaper-rash/basics/definition/CON-20019220?p=1
- How to heal chafed skin: http://www.wikihow.com/Heal-Chafed-Skin
- Natural remedies for butt chafing: http://www.findhomeremedy.com/6-simple-home-remedies-for-chafing/