Longer, fuller and thicker eyelashes are a trend. Here’s how to grow eyelashes fast and make them thick, long and voluminous. Natural remedies such as biotin vitamins, use of Vaseline and even brushing can help you grow your eyelashes naturally.
Factors like genetics, age, certain medical conditions, a nutritional deficiency, an eye infection or hormonal changes in the body often contribute to thin eyelashes. Rubbing your eyes roughly and not removing eye makeup at the end of the day can also cause the delicate hairs of your lashes to fall out.
There are many ways to grow eyelashes thick and long naturally. These include applying various oils like coconut oil, vitamin E oil, castor oil, Vaseline and olive oil amongst other remedies.
Recommended for you:
How to grow eyelashes fast naturally
Natural is always the best way and you can look very pretty and natural by working on growing your own lashes naturally. So here are some great ways to grow longer eyelashes naturally that I have found to help.
To get a perfect amount of eyelashes, you must take care of your eye to make it work. If you try everything and don’t keep your eyes clean, then you will not get the benefit. Take off your makeup and clean your eyes every time before you go to bed.
Brush your eyebrows.
Yes it seems a little weird but there actually is a type of comb which can help you to brush your eyelashes. This one is the easiest way to make your eyelashes longer. Comb your eyelashes regularly and see the result.
Brushing your lashes can also help them grow. It will help get rid of dust and dirt particles to prevent clogged pores. Moreover, it will encourage blood circulation so that more nutrients reach the hair follicles.
- Put a few drops of vitamin E oil or petroleum jelly on a soft-bristled eyelash brush or comb.
- Use the brush to apply the oil or jelly directly on your lashes.
- Continue brushing the lashes gently using upward strokes. Start from the root of the lashes and slowly move upward to the tip.
- Brush for about 5 minutes twice daily until you see desired results.
It is an old-age trick but it really works! And it is the simplest one! You just have to use a cotton stick or mascara brush and apply a swipe of Vaseline on your eyelid before you go to bed. It will make your lashes longer and thicker. You have to wait for the results but it will make a noticeable change.
Most common problems you may have faced with eyelashes are that they can fall out and even break if you mistreat them. You can rub your eyelids to help it out. Massaging the eyelids can stimulate the hair follicles which help to grow stronger eyelashes.
Massage stimulates the hair follicles along your lash lines, causing them to become more active and improving their ability to grow stronger eyelashes faster. It also stimulates blood flow, which can help, as well.
- Put a few drops of oil, petroleum jelly or shea butter on your eyelids.
- Using your fingertips, massage along your lids and lash line in small, circular motions.
- Massage for 5 to 7 minutes twice daily for a few months.
Note: Before massaging your eyelids, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly.
Your natural growth of hair depends on the diet you are following. If you have a bad diet then you will notice that your body will not support to the growths properly. Your eyelashes will not increase enough too. Try to intake fruits and veggies to make a remarkable difference.
In order to achieve faster results, for example within three to seven days, there is a simple home remedy that will have your lashes back to their old glory. This remedy involves using almond oil and honey mixture.
You will only need to mix these two ingredients and apply the resulting mixture to your eyelashes. This mixture is guaranteed to accelerate the growth of your eyelashes.
Coconut milk is rich in protein and essential fats that can help you enjoy thicker, longer eyelashes. It will also add a beautiful shine to your lashes.
- Dip a cotton swab in cold coconut milk and apply it on your eyelashes.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Follow this remedy once or twice daily for a few months to get the desired result.
Eating a healthy, balanced diet is another important step to enjoy thick eyelashes. Just like the hair on your head, your lashes also need a good supply of vitamins and minerals to help them grow longer, thicker and stronger. Protein and vitamins A, B, C and E as well as iron, zinc, copper, magnesium and selenium are important for hair growth.
- Include plenty of fresh fruits like apples, guava, mangos, papayas, avocado and grapefruit in your diet.
- Eat green vegetables like spinach, broccoli, cabbage and kale.
- Include whole grains as well as protein-rich foods such as legumes, nuts, seeds and beans in your diet. Also, eat alfalfa sprouts as they are high in protein as well as vitamins and minerals.
- Use extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil for your cooking as these oils contain healthy fats. Remember, moderation is the key.
- Also, be sure to get adequate fluid intake every day.
As lack of essential vitamins and nutrients can have a huge impact on eyelash growth, you can also opt for a multivitamin supplement. Consult a doctor for the supplement type and correct dosage.
The high protein in eggs can help create thicker and longer eyelashes. In addition, it contains biotin and B vitamins that play a major role in improving the overall texture of your lashes.
- Beat 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of glycerin until you get a thick, creamy texture.
- Dip a cotton swab into this mixture and apply it on your eyelashes.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse it off using cold water.
- Follow this remedy 3 times a week for a few months.
Green tea is another effective home remedy for longer, thicker eyelashes. It is rich in flavonoids that stimulate the growth of your lashes.
- Prepare a cup of unsweetened green tea, and set it aside to cool down.
- Use a cotton swab to apply the green tea on your lashes, from the roots to the tips.
- Allow it to sit for 15 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water.
- Do this twice daily for 2 to 3 months.
Note: When using green tea, make sure it does not get in your eyes.
The powerful follicle-stimulating and nourishing castor oil can help you enjoy lustrous and voluminous lashes. It also helps fight micro-organisms that hamper growth.
- Use a clean brush or a cotton swab to apply castor oil on your lashes before going to bed. You can also add a few drops of vitamin E oil to the castor oil before applying. Leave it on overnight, then rinse it off with lukewarm water in the morning.
- Alternatively, mix together 2 tablespoons each of castor oil and fresh aloe vera gel. Apply it on your eyelashes using a cotton swab. Leave it on overnight, then rinse it off the next morning.
- Follow either of these remedies daily for 2 to 3 months.
Olive oil is a well-known natural remedy for thicker hair growth as well as eyelashes. This oil is rich in vitamin E and oleic acid that nourish and add volume to your eyelashes. It also helps keep the lashes dark.
- Dip a clean, old mascara stick or simply a cotton swab in warm olive oil.
- Before going to bed, apply the oil carefully on your lashes, just as you would apply mascara.
- Leave it on overnight, then wash it off with lukewarm water in the morning.
- Repeat this remedy daily for a few months until you get the desired result.
You could use any of the natural oils such as coconut oil, argan oil or almond oil. You could also use lemon olive oil (soak a few dried lemon peel in olive oil and put it in the sunlight for a few days).
It’ll protect, moisturize your lashes and make them grow faster & thicker.
Each of these oils works the same way by providing a protective coat over each lash, thereby blocking out drying agents or other harmful airborne debris. Oils are a natural eyelash conditioner.
- Olive oil, vitamin E oil, castor oil, and emu oil rank highest on the list of recommended oils because of the nutrients they contain.
- Carefully dab a small amount of oil along the upper lash line using a cotton swab. If applying before bed, let them dry slightly before you go to sleep.
How to apply oil to your eyelashes to make grow faster?
- Clean an old eye liner container and fill it in with any organic oil of your choice.
- Just before going to bed, swipe it on your upper and lower lash line just like an eye liner.
- Leave it overnight and wash it off the next morning with some warm water.
Follow this religiously and you’ll definitely see a difference in a few weeks.It’ll protect, moisturize and make your lashes grow faster & thicker.
Vitamin E Oil
Everyone is quite familiar with the antioxidant properties of vitamin E oil. It’ll help repair your lashes as well as stimulate growth.
Directions for use:
Using a clean lash brush, apply it on your lower and upper lashline and keep it on overnight. Wash it off the next morning.
This is one of the most effective tips for growing long eyelashes however if you have sensitive eyes then its best to be avoided.
It’s considered as a miracle plant. This herb has healing properties and is filled with vitamins such as A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C and E, and folic acid.
The vitamins and minerals in aloe vera will help strengthen your lashes and get thicker eyelashes.
Directions for use:
Just apply fresh aloe vera gel directly onto your lids and lashes and let it stay overnight.
Wash it off in the morning.
Use lash conditioner.
Apply a lash conditioner to your eyelashes twice per day to encourage thickness. These products which typically contain natural plant extracts come in small bottles with applicator wands, so you can apply them just like you apply mascara.
Use the conditioner in the morning-it works as a primer if you apply mascara afterward, and before going to sleep at night. Alternatively, choose a mascara that contains lash conditioner.
Try a commercial lash accelerator serum or conditioner.
Applying a commercial lash conditioner or accelerator on a daily basis can cause your lashes to look longer and healthier in only a few weeks’ time.
The specific ingredients found in these products vary depending on the brand, but they often include things like peptides, vitamins, and aloe, or other nutrients that can help your lashes becomes stronger and longer.
Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Enhancing Serum Advanced
Aloe Vera is a wonderful home remedy that can be used for various purposes. If you want to nourish your eyelashes and make them grow, apply some fresh Aloe Vera gel straight to your lashes before going to bed, using a clean mascara wand, the same way as you apply mascara.
Thanks to vitamins and powerful nutrients, Aloe Vera gel will improve the growth of your eyelashes and make them stronger.
Avoid using fake eyelashes
Another tip on how to make your eyelashes grow longer and thicker is – avoid fake lashes. Using fake lashes or eyelashes extensions might be a quick fix to the problem, but longer-term, it will only damage your lashes further.
When you take them off you are likely to pull out your real lashes as well, so it is best to avoid fake lashes altogether, or use them only when it’s absolutely necessary.
Remove all makeup at night
The longer your lashes are free from makeup, then the better they will grow. Always remove all your eye makeup at night time, to give your lashes a chance to breathe or, even better, remove it as soon as you get home.
Leave your lashes alone!
Always be gentle with lashes, they don’t like being treated harshly.
Avoid rubbing your eyes or pulling on your lashes when you are removing makeup or you’ll not only get premature under eye wrinkles and fine lines, but you’ll also pull some lashes out and stunt the growth of the other ones that stay in.
Biotin for eyelash hair growth
You’ve probably heard that biotin helps the hair on your head grow longer and stronger but guess what? It does the same for your eyelashes! Biotin is a B vitamin that helps your hair, skin, AND nails. It’s pretty much the beauty supplement if you ask me.
Take 3000 mcg per day and you should notice results within the next 3 months.
If you still aren’t seeing results then you can take as much as 5000 mcg. It doesn’t just make your eyelashes grow longer, but it makes them grow in thicker and promotes growth of additional eyelash follicles.
Have you noticed hair loss or breakage? Whether the hair loss is your eyelashes, eyebrows, or the head on your hair, it could be the result of low iron.
If you’re noticing symptoms of low iron (also known as anemia) it would be wise to have a blood test performed by your doctor to diagnose anemia and begin increasing your daily consumption of iron or taking an iron supplement.
Eating a diet rich in iron helps promote eyelash growth.
If your doctor does recommend an iron supplement take it with orange juice. The vitamin C in orange juice helps promote the absorption of iron.
Growing lashes after chemotherapy
Growing lashes after chemotherapy can be an ardous task. This is because your body is undergoing so much strain and many changes.
It is recommended to use natural means to encourage their growth as these do not in any way interfere with your treatment or your body in any way.
You can make use of natural oils such as coconut, argan and almond oils to stimulate their growth. Green tea home remedy as stated above can also be used.
How to grow lashes after they fall out
Eyelash loss can happen for a number of reasons, some perfectly normal and some a sign of serious health problems. It is normal for one or two lashes to fall out per day, because your hair is constantly renewing, but they should also grow back over time.
This is considered your normal lash cycle. If not, you may want to consult with a doctor about why you’re losing eyelashes at an abnormal rate.
However in the meantime there are a few things you can do to help ensure that your eyelashes grow back properly, such as changing your makeup routine and keeping your face clean.
Avoid wearing makeup. If you know the cause of your eyelash loss was from something like chemo or hormone problems, don’t worry about this.
However, if your loss was unexplained, you will want to avoid wearing makeup around your eyes.
There are two reasons for this:
- The first is that makeup does expire after awhile and the bacteria it grows can cause your eyelash loss.
- Some people are allergic to the ingredients in makeup and this make have aggravated your skin enough to cause the hair loss.
Wash your face regularly. Eyelash loss is often caused by an overgrowth of bacteria around the eyelids and face.
Wash your face every day with gentle soaps designed for the face in order to keep bacteria under control.
Eyelash Growth Serums
Latisse isa an FDA-approved treatment to grow eyelashes for people with inadequate or not enough lashes.
You apply Latisse by dabbing it on the upper lash line each night with the sterile applicators supplied. The drug spreads to your lower lash line automatically as you blink.
According to the manufacturer, you should never apply it in your eye or onto your lower lid. Before you apply, your face must be clean and your makeup and contact lenses removed.
Always discard each applicator after one use.Re-using applicators, even just once the next evening, can cause serious problems, such as an eye infection or allergic reaction.
And apply it carefully, since Latisse may promote hair growth on other skin areas.
After two months of nightly use, you may begin to see results. After three or four months, your doctor may recommend a treatment schedule of every two days. If you stop using Latisse, your eyelashes will gradually return to their former state.
Study participants experienced these results after 16 weeks:
- Eyelash length increased by 25 percent.
- Thickness and fullness increased by 106 percent.
- Eyelash darkness increased by 18 percent.
Revitalash Advanced Eyelash Conditioner is a pricey, but effective, lash growth product available without a prescription.
Although you may recognize some of the plant ingredients this contains, they have no impact on how this water-based, brush-on product performs.
- Contains an ingredient very likely to stimulate lash growth, leading to fuller, longer, healthier-looking lashes.
- Easy to apply: Brush on once nightly and see results in three to six weeks.
Useful Tips for Growing Lashes and How to Prevent Them from Falling Off
- Remove all your eye makeup before bed, no matter how exhausted you are.
- Dab coconut oil on a cotton pad and gently remove the mascara off your lashes.
- Don’t use waterproof mascara on a daily basis as they are the hardest to get off.
- While removing eye makeup, don’t rub your eyes too harshly. Instead use gentle swiping motion.\ Brush your lashes using a lash brush once or twice a day. It’ll remove any dust particles as well as ensure proper growth.
- Trim your lashes. Once every few months trim off a small part of your lashes. I agree it sounds weird but trust me, it helps.
- Massage your eyelids.
At the end of the day, after removing all your makeup, massage your eyelids for a few minutes. It’ll strengthen your lashes and you’ll see a difference in the rate of growth of the hair. But don’t be too hard, gently massage using your ring finger.
Don’t use fake lashes every other day if you’re trying to grow your natural lashes.
There are also a few products available in the market that’ll give you long and thick eye lashes faster. But you might have heard that the things that come easy don’t last. Same is the case with these products. They might give you thicker and longer lashes faster but the results won’t last.
Instead they’ll end up ruining your natural lashes.