Black spots on face affect your complexion and can cause uneven skin tone. Most dark patches on skin come from pimples and acne spots. Here’s how to remove black spots on face fast and naturally using simple home remedies. Follow these tips on how to get rid of dark spots on face due to pimples to reduce the appearance of black dots on cheeks, forehead, under eyes, nose and even legs.
Dark spots on face are majorly caused by pimples and acne scars. In some cases, hormonal imbalance during pregnancy can also lead to the discoloration and hyperpigmentation marks on the face.
Sun tanning or exposure to sunlight, some medicines, excessive oil on skin (in teenagers) etc. can all leave you with black marks on face. Ageing and lack of sleep can also cause dark dots under eyes. Here’s how to get rid of black dots on face fast and naturally using home remedies.
How to remove black spots on face fast
What is the best way to get rid of black spots and patches on face caused by pimples? Most kitchen home remedies such as tomato juice, lemon, potato juice and aloe vera can help remove dark spots on caused by pimples on face. But most of these methods will take quite some time to fade the spots.
- According to Caretricks, “To get clear skin on face overnight using natural home remedies you need to keep skin clean and moisturized. One needs to clear oils, acne, dark spots, wrinkles, dry skin, stretchmarks for getting spotless skin.”
For dark spots, you can reduce them by fading them. Overnight solutions may include microdermabrasion and laser removal. These are not natural remedies. Below are the best home remedies for black spots on face.
Home remedies for black spots on face
Quick remedies and treatments to clear dark spots on your skin can be found in your home kitchen. Lemon juice, potato juice, aloe vera, turmeric powder, papaya, sour milk, honey and garlic juice can all help reduce black spots on face naturally.
1. Use lemon juice to fade dark spots on skin
Lemon juice is acidic and works as a skin lightener. Lemon is known to treat acne, fade acne scars and breakouts and lighten body scars in general. The vitamin C in lemon juice will lighten dark spots on your face fast, and it is easy to apply at home. Here’s how to use lemon juice to get rid of dark spots on face due to pimples.
- Get 4 fresh lemons, clean and slice them.
- Squeeze them to get fresh lemon juice into a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball into the lemon juice.
- Rub it on the black spots on your face.
- Leave it on for a few minutes to dry.
- Wash it off with clean lukewarm water.
Repeat this remedy everyday for two weeks to remove black spots fast. Take caution if you have a sensitive skin: lemon juice may not be good for a sensitive skin. Dilute it with water or rose water to reduce it’s strength before applying on a sensitive skin on your face.
Also, if you are getting rid of black spots under eyes, avoid using lemon juice completely. The skin under eyes is very delicate. If you still have fresh pimple scabs and sores, do not apply lemon juice on your face as it will sting and cause further irritation and discomfort.
2. Apply potato juice to lighten dark patches quickly
Potato juice is known as one of the best home remedies to lighten black spots and dark patches on the face. If you had teenage pimples and acne breakouts, use potato juice or slices to cure the spots fast.
Herbs Forever and other sources list potato juice as one of the natural skin bleaching remedies. If you apply it on your face with black marks, it will correct uneven skin tone and get rid of the blemishes or hyperpigmentation fast. Here’s how to use potato juice to remove black spots naturally, fast or quickly enough.
- Take and clean a few potatoes.
- Grate them to obtain potato paste.
- Add honey to strengthen the potato remedy’s potency.
- Apply the potato mask to your face and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm or cold water.
Repeat this dark spots cure to remove black spots on face fast. This remedy can be used on acne scars, blemishes, dark sunspots on face and hyperpigmentation marks as well. Starch that is found in potatoes bleaches and reduces pigmentation on the black patches. It also nourishes your skin.
Alternative potato cure recipe
If you do not want to grate potatoes or to make a paste, you can use the following procedure instead.
- Slice up a big potato into somewhat round pieces.
- Soak the slices in water for about 5 minutes.
- Put the slices on areas of your face with black marks.
- Leave it on for a few minutes.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the procedure daily for quicker results.
A potato plus honey face mask is said to be more potent. Apply it on your face to clear black spots from pimples in a few weeks.
3. Aloe vera remedy for black face spots
Aloe vera gel has a soothing effect on your skin. It is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. Other than removing black pimple marks fast, it can also heal pimple scabs and reduce pimple breakouts. You can use this natural remedy to prevent pimples and also to get rid of dark spots naturally. Here’s how to use aloe vera remedy on your face to correct dark spots and acne hyperpigmentation marks.
- Cut a fresh, succulent aloe vera leaf.
- Squeeze the leaf to get aloe vera gel out of it.
- Apply the gel on to the dark marks and gently massage the acne spots with it.
- Repeat this natural remedy twice a day to remove black spots on face permanently.
We highly recommend organic cold pressed Aloe Vera gel (Check price on Amazon)
According to Mind Body Green, aloe vera helps fight age spots, treats acne, sunburn spots and makes the skin look clearer. It can also diminish stretch marks fast. For this reason, you should consider including it in your skin care regime more regularly.
4. Sandalwood face mask
Sandalwood is used as a major home remedy for dark circles, spots, blemishes, pimple marks etc. When mixed with lemon, it can correct uneven skin tone or hyperpigmentation. When used regularly, this natural remedy can help get a glowing skin due to its oils and bleaching properties. Here’s how to remove black spots on face fast using sandalwood mask.
- Put one tablespoon of sandalwood in a bowl.
- Add one a tablespoon of glycerin and 3 of rose water.
- Mix well to make a consistent paste.
- Apply the sandalwood paste directly on your face to reduce pimple marks overnight.
- Leave it for about 8 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Where to find a sandalwood paste? You can find it on Amazon here
Repeat this treatment daily to get rid of dark spots permanently (in a few days or weeks). You can alter this recipe to suit you: If you do not have rose water, you can use honey or a little milk to make the paste for your face mask.
5. Use turmeric powder to reduce black spots on face
Turmeric is the orangey-yellow tinged powder in most kitchens. It is a common home remedy for skin lightening. According to SkinCareOrg, turmeric powder has “curcumin which is a powerful anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant which plays a big role in reducing excess production of melanin (a substance that gives the dark skin complexion) and replaces your unclear skin to beautiful and glowing skin.” Here’s how to remove black spots caused by pimples using turmeric.
- Put a pinch of turmeric powder in a small bowl.
- Add one tablespoon of lime juice and one tablespoon of honey.
- Mix these ingredients to make a consistent paste.
- Wear plastic gloves before applying to prevent staining your nails yellow.
- Apply the mixture on your face evenly.
- Allow it to dry.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Use this treatment regularly to remove black spots on face fast and permanently. The face mask can eliminate black spots on lips, facial skin, nose, cheeks and even under eyes.
6. Sour milk or buttermilk to remove black spots on skin quickly
Buttermilk or sour milk has acidic properties. It is used in most fast skin lightening remedies for its ability to bleach dark marks on the skin.
When applied topically, the lactic acid in the buttermilk or sour milk helps in reducing the appearance of black spots, hyperpigmentation and pimple marks. Milk can remove black pimple marks and dots fast by lightening them. Here’s how to use it to get rid of dark pimple and acne dots on face.
- Pour a little buttermilk or sour milk into a bowl.
- Dip a piece of cloth or cotton ball into the sour milk.
- Apply it on the areas of the skin with pimple marks.
- Leave for about 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this home treatment twice a day to remove black spots on your face quickly.
You can make different recipes with this home remedy. You can add tomato juice or just dip lemon slices into milk and then rub onto your face areas with hyperpigmentation or sun tanning spots. The sour milk is a good treatment for skin exfoliation, so it brighten your complexion or skin tone.
7. Oatmeal for removing pimple marks
Oatmeal is a very good home exfoliation remedy. It can remove black marks left by pimples and acne spots. How does oatmeal reduce black marks on the skin around the nose, forehead, face, cheeks, legs and under eyes?
Exfoliating with oatmeal removes the dead skin cells that have the scars. As the scarred skin reduces, the appearance of pimple marks also diminishes. This way, you will have a much lighter complexion without black spots. Here’s how to get rid of pimple marks fast, in a few days with oatmeal remedy.
- Put 3 tablespoons of ground oatmeal into a bowl.
- Squeeze half a lemon into the bowl.
- Mix the two ingredients to get a consistent paste.
- Scrub your face with the paste, concentrating on the areas of your face with black marks.
- Leave it on your face for about 20 minutes.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this pimple mark cure twice or three times a week.
Other benefits of oatmeal for your skin include reducing oiliness that causes pimples in the first place, making the skin brighter and treating acne and eczema. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that make it ideal for a sensitive skin.
8. Cucumber to remove black spots under eyes
Cucumbers are known to have many benefits for skin. One of the most common uses of cucumber slices is getting rid of dark circles or dark spots under eyes. According to Visually, cucumbers have the ability to quickly, safely and easily reduce the appearance of dark circles under eyes.
They are rich in antioxidants and silica that can rejuvenate the skin and fade black spots under the eyes. They are easy to use and will nourish your skin, give you clear skin and even complexion. Here’s how to remove black spots under eye and on face overnight or fast using cucumber slices.
- Get a fresh cucumber and slice it to get round pieces.
- Place the slices in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Take the slices and place them over your eyes and relax for 20 minutes.
- Repeat this step everyday to get rid of dark spots under eyes fast.
An alternative method is to make a cucumber face mask. A face mask can cover the entire face and remove pimple marks quickly by correcting the complexion of your skin. To make a cucumber face mask to lighten dark spots on face fast:
- Clean a fresh cucumber and grate it with its skin on.
- Wash your face and pat dry.
- Mix with a tablespoon of honey to make a consistent paste.
- Apply the grated paste on your face.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this home remedy for dark marks on face everyday for quicker results.
After the treatment, ensure that you moisturize your skin to reduce dryness.
9. Papaya remedy for dark spots on face
Papaya is rich in vitamin C and E as well as an enzyme called papain. These are good for nourishing the skin and also exfoliating it to remove dark spots. When you exfoliate the skin, new cells emerge, leaving your skin looking brighter and clearer without blemishes. Here’s how to fade dark spots on face using papaya.
- Obtain a green papaya.
- Peel it off and remove the seeds.
- Slice a few pieces and take each piece and put on the black marks caused by pimples.
- Keep the papaya slices on the face for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water.
To get a clear skin faster, repeat this remedy twice a day. An alternative method is to make a papaya face mask. Simply blend the papaya to make a smooth paste. Apply it as a face mask, covering all the pimple marks and black spots. Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes to be able to fade black spot blemishes quickly. Rinse it off afterwards. When used well, the bleaching power of papaya can remove black spots within a few days or within a week.
10. Baking soda to clear black spots
Baking soda has exfoliating power. When used the right way, it can lighten skin and get rid of black pimple spots. You can use it to remove scars and dark spots caused by acne, ageing, chicken pox, eczema, tanning etc. Here’s how to clear black spots on face at home using baking soda.
- Put a little baking soda in a bowl.
- Add a little water and stir to get a consistent paste.
- Apply the paste on your acne and pimple scars.
- Leave the paste on your face overnight for quicker results.
- Rinse your face in the morning using lukewarm water.
If you want to make your skin glow or look brighter, use this recipe together with rose water. You can remove black spots on face in a week or a few days if you use this remedy constantly.
11. Honey prevents pimple dark spots
Honey can be used as an ingredient in many skin lightening home treatments and remedies. Research has shown that honey contains hydrogen peroxide that kills bacteria and also works as a bleaching agent. Honey kills bacteria that cause pimples and acne in skin pores.
According to Home Remedies for Life, “Interactions between the sugar in honey and the secretions from a healing breakout trigger the production of hydrogen peroxide, which kills the bacteria that cause acne and naturally bleaches away scars.”
If you cannot use it to prevent acne scars, you can apply it as a bleaching remedy to reduce acne scars on your face, cheeks, forehead, neck, lips and nose. It is recommended that you use raw honey. Here’s how to fade black spots caused by pimples using honey.
Recipe 1: Raw honey for acne spots
- Cleanse your face and pat it dry.
- Using a cotton ball, apply raw organic honey on the face.
- Leave it overnight on the face.
- Rinse it off with cool water in the morning and pat dry.
Recipe 2: Raw honey + lemon juice
For even quicker results, honey and lemon juice can be combined to make one of the best home remedies for black spots on your face. Lemon is a natural bleaching agent and will fade acne scars within days when mixed with raw honey. Here’s how to get rid of brown spots on face naturally with this remedy.
- Mix raw honey with lemon juice in a ratio of 1:1.
- Wash your face with cool water and pat dry.
- Apply the honey-lemon mixture on the face, concentrating on black patches and dots.
- Massage it into the skin with your fingers. Do this gently.
- Rinse off with cool water.
- Repeat this remedy daily to remove black spots from face fast.
12. Olive oil to lighten black spots on face
Olive oil is rich in fatty acids, vitamins and minerals that are good for the health of your skin. It has been used over the years to keep the skin healthy and soft. Being a powerful exfoliant, olive oil can reduce dark spots and patches on face if used regularly. You should use extra virgin olive oil with warm water, line, honey and sugar granules to make this exfoliation paste.
- Mix extra virgin oil with honey, fine sugar granules and warm water.
- Add a little lime and mix to paste.
- Cleanse your facial skin using gentle cleanser.
- Rinse it, leaving it a little damp.
- Gently massage your face using the olive oil paste.
- Repeat the procedure once per week to remove pimple marks fast.
All the ingredients of this recipe are safe and can be used during pregnancy. If you get black spots on face during pregnancy because of hormone imbalances, try this olive oil home treatment to get a clear complexion.
Onion juice is a natural tonic for hair and can be used to grow hair. Additionally, you can use it to remove black spots naturally. Red onion juice is highly acidic and can be used to bleach the black pimple marks overnight. Here’s how to remove black spots naturally on face using onion juice.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey with onion juice.
- Apply on your dark spots.
- Leave it for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water to remove the bad smell.
Some people prefer rubbing raw onion onto the areas of the face with blemishes and hyperpigmentation marks. This can also work but you have to be prepared to deal with the strong odor.
14. How to remove black spots naturally using tomato juice
According to Home Remedies Org, “Tomatoes are rich in sulfur, vitamin A and C. These have bleaching properties tomato juice is very strong in lightening dark spots under eyes but also mild for the sensitive skin around the eyes.” The following is how to remove black spots on face using tomato juice cure.
- Extract tomato juice from one ripe tomato fruit.
- Add one teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Stir to mix well.
- Apply the mixture on your face and dark spots areas.
- Leave it for 20 minutes for it to fade the black dots.
- Rinse it off with cool water.
Repeat this home remedy three times a week to get quick results. You can also use it to cure dark circles under eyes overnight.
Almonds and almond oil are also used for skin lightening. It can be used to brighten skin and correct dark spots. Almond oil contains niacin – a compound that lightens skin pigment when used on dark areas.
According to eTopical.com, almond oil is rich in vitamin E and A that nourish the skin, reducing skin pores and acne blemishes. It facilitates the renewal of skin cells. Using it will leave you with a clearer skin with less dark spots. Here’s how to remove black spots caused by pimples using sweet almond oil.
- Put sweet almond oil, lemon juice and honey in a mixing bowl, all in equal parts.
- Mix well to get a consistent mixture.
- Apply on your face and allow it to stay for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off using warm water.
- Apply a gentle moisturizer to keep your skin moisturized.
Other benefits of almond oil for the skin include tightening it to remove wrinkles, getting rid of stretch marks and making the skin look young and glowing. If you have dark tanning spots, you can also apply almond oil as a home remedy to treat black patches from sunburn.
16. Apple cider vinegar to get rid of black spots on face
Another best way remove black spots on your face is to use apple cider vinegar. The acid in apple cider vinegar can help correct the pH of your skin and prevent breakouts. If you already have dark pimple marks on your face, you can use this home remedy to fade black spots fast. Here’s how to remove black spots on face naturally using apple cider vinegar.
- Put a little apple cider vinegar in a glass.
- Add an equal amount of water to dilute it.
- Apply the solution to your face or on brown spots and dark spots.
- Leave it to stay for a few minutes.
- Wash it off.
Repeat this home remedy once a day until you fade the dark spots. To make it more effective, you can mix apple cider vinegar with honey and use it the same way. Note that if you have a sensitive skin, do not use vinegar as it can burn it.
Treatments to remove dark spots overnight
Most of the home remedies discussed above can remove black marks from acne. However, they may not give you a clear skin in 3 days, overnight or in just the first week. Medical treatments can give much better or much faster results. These include laser treatment, microdermabrasion and chemical peels.
Microdermabrasion for dark spot removal is “a cosmetic treatment in which the face is sprayed with exfoliant crystals to remove dead epidermal cells.” It allows to renew itself as new cells are generated and exposed.
“The procedure makes way for a new, smoother layer of skin to replace the skin that’s been treated… It works best on problems such as dull skin, brown spots, and age spots.” [WebMD]” The treatment procedure has to be done at the dermatologist’s office.
Laser removal of blemishes
According to Vogue Magazine, lasers can be very effective in treating dark patches of discoloration on the skin. They employ laser lights that penetrate deep into the skin to correct the pigment that causes black marks.
Intense pulsed light laser treatment is said to be the best. The only downside to this overnight removal of black marks is that it is very costly. A few treatments are required to completely remove the marks, which can make the process more expensive.
Chemical peels can also remove dark spots on face overnight. This treatment uses chemical depilatories to remove the upper pigmented layer of the skin. It leaves the skin clear without dark spots and even wrinkles or skin folds.
The downside of chemical peels for black marks on face is that the skin is left more prone to sun damage. It also produces good results for light haired people as opposed to those who are hairy. Chemical peels are also expensive and may require the attention of a dermatologist to do right.
Dark spot corrector creams
Creams with Retin A, salicylic acid and hydroquinone are said to produce the best results in fading dark spots on the face. There are many creams out in the market, but not every cream out there can give you the fastest results. It will take some time to fade black spots using topical creams.
More Tips on How to Get Rid of Dark Spots on Face Fast
Brown spots on legs, arms, face, nose and cheeks can be stubborn to remove. Blemishes are a problem for teenagers as well as women and men in their 40s or above. Stress, prolonged exposure to sunlight and poor skin care routines can all lead to blemishes. Here are more tips on how to get rid of black spots on face.
Always wear sunscreen to prevent black dots on your face. If sun damage is the primary cause of the black marks, ensure that you wear sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful sun rays. Buy a sunscreen that is SPF 35 or at least SPF 30.
Believe it or not, stress affects the health of your skin. According to Mario Badescu Skin Care, “When your body is stressed, there is a hormone fluctuation that causes an increase in the amount of oil your skin secretes, which can cause acne to form or worsen.” If you have an acne-prone skin, try to relax and reduce stress to prevent pimple breakouts on your face. Breakouts end up causing black spots and flare-ups.
- Get enough sleep every day for a healthier skin.
- Take time to relax and manage your stress better.
- Avoid foods that stress your body to process, such as fatty foods, or junk foods in general.
Drink plenty of water
Oily skins are more prone to pimples and acne scars. But if your skin is dry, it can suffer from pimples and pimple scabs a lot more. Dry skin produces a lot of dead skin cells. When they clog pores and mix with excess oil and dirt, pimples erupt.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body and skin hydrated.
- You can use a gentle moisturizer to help prevent black spots on your face.
Keeping your body hydrated helps it remain supple and soft. It is also a good way to get a clear skin without blemishes.
Diet to prevent pimple dark spots
Your skin is most likely the representation of what you eat. There are lots of food that cause black spots as a result of pimples. In order to remove black spots on face or skin on nose, consider making changes to your diet.
- Avoid fatty foods. They cause much of the breakouts.
- Eat a lot of dark berries. According to the Glamour Magazine, dark berries have plenty of antioxidants that will help get you a clear skin.
- Eat plenty of fruits that provide your body with vitamin C. Vitamin C is good for the health of your skin.
- Red grapes are good for your skin too. They have powerful antioxidants that treat inflammatory skin problems such as acne pimples, psoriasis and eczema. These may go a long way in preventing and getting rid of black spots on your face.
Other foods to include in your diet include nettle water, peppermint, nuts, tomatoes, watercress, and oat milk. Avoid sugar and dairy products. Also, ensure that you exercise a lot to keep your body fit and also reduce stress levels. Follow each of these tips on how to remove black spots and get rid of blemishes to get a clear skin.
- Caretricks: Natural Home Remedies to Get Clear Skin Overnight
- DermeFFACE FX7: Lighten Acne Scars the Safe and Natural Way with Lemons
- Find Home Remedy: 15 Amazing Sandalwood Remedies for Clean and Clear Skin
- Skincareorg: Does Turmeric Lighten Skin? How to Use Turmeric to Lighten Skin
- ly: 7 Wonderful Benefits of Cucumber for Healthy Skin
- Step to Health: Special Masks to Remove Dark Spots
- Home Remedies for Life: How To Use Honey for Acne Scars (19 Ways )
- Mario Badescu Skin Care: Stress and Acne | Stress-Induced Acne
- Forbes: Eating For Beauty: The Best Diet For Healthy, Clear Skin